- Something about a crooked tie.
- Something about a 24-hour clock.
- Something about being mislabled and misquoted.
- Something about wondering how many times you got it wrong when you were on the other side.
- Something about wishing you'd just drive away and take all this stuff with you.
- Something about The BQE and Sufjan Stevens and a symphony (but not about two arrests that took place there too).
A blog that was supposed be made up of bits about cab rides and blurbs about beauty products but, instead, is about other things.
But do come to our show:
TINY SMOOSHY SUNDAY ON FIRE (Hosted by Martha Plimpton, and featuring Smoosh, Care Bears on Fire, and Tiny Masters of Today).
Also, read the New York interview with Martha, because it includes such hysteria as:
What do you hate most about living in New York?
The dead-eyed pharmacy people at Duane Reade. I'd rather have a drunk Mr. Gower filling my prescriptions. It's always a journey into the Heart of Darkness, going in there, with a long line of hysterical Upper West Siders tearing at their clothes and smearing themselves with their own feces. Here is the script:
Duane Reade: "Clinton?"
Duane Reade: "Crimpson?"
Me: "PLIMP. TON."
Duane Reade: "Pimpman?"
Cut to: Giant mushroom cloud signifying my own internal apocalypse.
And, Baltimore, if one of your guests is old enough that it's entirely possible that she could have given birth to everyone else at her table, then, yes, you've given her the wrong seat.
- In parts of the new Gursky show, fashion plates are stuck in the middle of Formula One scenes. The photos are, as always, so shiny. (at Matthew Marks)
- "I'd like to unintend her consequences." (Citizen Truth)
- Miranda July + Blonde Redhead video. (via Ed, via another Ed, apparently.)
- "Mayor Plans an All-Hybrid Taxi Fleet." (NYT)
- Tord Boontje talks, lights my living room. (Artkrush)
- Oregon Trail online?! I can't get it to work, but I hope you can. (via Zach Klein)
Tiny Smooshy Sunday On Fire
A benefit for 826NYC
featuring SMOOSH, TINY MASTERS OF TODAY, and CARE BEARS ON FIRE, and hosted by MARTHA PLIMPTON
Sunday, June 3rd, 2p.m.
Southpaw (125 5th Avenue, Brooklyn)
Tickets: $25 adults /$10 ages 16 and under
(I should mention: they were clearly on a first date.)
His response, "Dinner as a concept, or this dinner?"
Then, and without hesitation, she started to cry.
He waited what I thought was an appropriate amount of time (two minutes), he put down some money, presumably for the check, and he left. She sat, still, at the table, and cried.
He doubled back, and handed her a twenty-dollar bill, "For your cab home."
There was a kite and a beach and a family and a fight and there was a cab, and it was out of place, and it made them laugh. A little.
Dear Dr. Pepper Lip Smacker,
My mom remembers buying you when she was young and though she hadn't seen you in years, even she admitted that your new smell stinks. Thanks for making me sad.
Not your friend,
Crossing Hester Street. I don't know why I looked back. But then I couldn't look away. I wasn't sure if the set-up was real and the cackling and hollering of the boys outside of aNYthing didn't help me out.
I'm mailing you this note card in place of the response card I should be sending, except that I can't send it because I left it in the back seat of a cab. It was early, and I was opening a pile of yesterday's mail, and I think it fell when I got mad at all the magazine subscription cards and matrimony. So, on the back of this note I'll write my name and the name of my "And Guest" who you won't know and who you'll probably never see again and I'll tell you that I'll have the chicken and he'll have the fish and I'll mail it to your mom and dad. Maybe the cab driver or the next rider will respond too.
Philip Johnson's Glass House is now open to visitors! Who wants to take a trip?
- Things, Some
- Don't Get Martha Plimpton Started On Duane Reade
- Car Seat, Kids Table
- Better Than Bright Eyes
- Short Trips
- TINY SMOOSHY SUNDAY ON FIRE
- You Give Girls A Bad Name
- Backseat Shooter: 2C68. Or, Garden State Parkway, ...
- Short Trip
- Cab, Rat. I Can't Look Away
- Response Card
- Ready, Set, Go
- People Who Live In Glass Houses Shouldn't Throw St...
- ▼ May 2007 (18)
- ► 2006 (129)
- Things I Don't Understand And Definitely Am Not Going To Talk About
- Me, in real life: jensnow.com
- Revenge of the Book Eaters
- Scrabble For Cheaters
- The Believer
- This American Life
- The New-York Ghost
- Citizen Truth
- The Dizzies
- Learning To Love You More
- Good Magazine
- Sufjan Stevens
- Martha Rosler
- Ryan McGinness
- Russ & Daughters
- Elinor Carucci
- Nico Muhly
- Pretty Standard
- Nina Lalli
- Personal Days
- Personal Days: The novel's blog
- Hey, Hot Shot
- Michael Calderone
- Gretta Cohen
- Izzy Grinspan
- Gabriel Sherman
- Gabriel Kahane
- Noelle Hancock
- Nina Katchadourian
- Jen Bekman
- Melissa Plaut
- John Hodgman
- Marcel Dzama
- Jason Kottke
- Emily Jacir
- David Byrne
- The Farm on Adderley
- Artforum: Scene and Herd
- Knifed and Spooned
- Michael Bell-Smith
- Jeremy Laing
- Carrie Girl
- Mr. Rogers and Me
- Taxi F.A.Q.
- Transportation Alternatives
- File a lost property report with the TLC
- Taxicab Rider Bill of Rights